2005.5- till now: Professor of Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences; Professor of University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
2002-2005 Ph. D. student of Department of Organismal Biology, University of Salzburg, Austria. Thesis: Taxonomic Investigations of Soil Ciliates and Ecological Investigations of Ciliates from Marine Waters, Sediments and Salt Ponds. Supervisor：Prof. Dr. Ulrike-G. Berninger
1999-2002 PhD. Student of Department of Oceanography, Inha University, Inchon, Korea. Thesis: Ecology and Taxonomy of Ciliates in Tidal Flats and Salt Ponds around Gyeonggi Bay, Yellow Sea. Supervisor：Prof. Joong Ki Choi. obtained the second Ph. D degree in 2010 from Inha University, Korea. Received the second doctorate in 2010.
1990-1999 Ocean University of China. Thesis: Studies on Free-living Ciliated Protozoa in Marine Waters, with the Ecological Studies on Strombidium sulcatum. Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Weibo Song.
Executive director of the Seabed Exploration and Development Branch of the China Ocean Engineering Consulting Association (since 2019)
Editorial Board of the Seventh Editorial Committee of Journal of Ocean University of China (since 2019)
Committee member of ISO/TC 8/SC 13 Marine Technology Branch of International Organization for Standardization (since 2017)
Committee member of National Standardization Technical Committee (since 2016)
Member of council of the benthic zoology branch of the Society of Oceanography and Limnology (since 2015)
Member of council of the micropaleontology branch of the Chinese Zoological Society (since 2012)
Research Interests and Achievements
Foraminiferal diversity and global change. My recent projects (as a PI) included the Knowledge Innovation Program of CAS, the National Science Foundation of China. I am the first drafter of the National Standard of the People’s Republic of China “Specification for marine sediment interstitial biota survey” GB/T 34656—2017. I am an expert reviewer of the National Science Foundation of China and an Expert Member of Shandong Sea Area Use Demonstration. I am a member of “International Society of Protistology” and reviewer of several Chinese academic journals in English. More than 60 papers were published till now, including 30 papers in SCI-journals, in addition, as the coauthor of chapters I participated in compiling of 3 Monographs.
Foraminiferal taxonomy, phylogeny and diversity; Foraminiferal molecular biology; foraminiferal experimental ecology, Global change
Honors and Awards
International Awards of Paul Br？nnimann Foundation, Geneva, Switzerland (2014-)
Second prize of Marine science and Technology Awards of State Oceanic Administration
(2012-) (The second Author)
Yanli Lei and Tiegang Li, 2016. Atlas of Benthic Foraminifera from China Seas The Bohai Sea and the Yellow Sea. Springer-Verlag GmbH, Germany and Science Press, Beijing, 399 pp.
GB/T 34656—2017. Specification for marine sediment interstitial biota survey. National Standard of the People’s Republic of China. China Standard Press, Beijing, 2017. 106 pp. (Authors: Yanli Lei et al.)
HY/T140-2011. Specifications for the Survey of Marine Microbenthos. Marine Professional Standard of the People’s Republic of China. China Standard Press, Beijing, 2011. 30pp. (Authors: Yanli Lei and Kuidong Xu)
1. Yanli Lei*, Chengchun Li , Tiegang Li, Zhimin Jian*, 2019. The effect of temperature and food concentration on ingestion rates of Quinqueloculina seminula on the diatom Nitzschia closterium. Journal of Foraminiferal Research, 49(1): 3-10.
2. Zhoufei Yu, Yanli Lei*, Tiegang Li*, Shuai Zhang, Zhifang Xiong, 2019. Mg and Sr uptake in benthic foraminifera Ammonia aomoriensis based on culture and field studies. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 520: 229-239.
3. Shuaishuai Dong, Yanli Lei*, Tiegang Li*, Zhimin Jian, 2019. Responses of benthic foraminifera to changes of temperature and salinity: results from a laboratory culture experiment. Science China Earth Sciences, 62(2): 459-472.
4. Shuaishuai Dong, Yanli Lei*, Tiegang Li, Zhimin Jian*, 2019. Changing structure of benthic foraminiferal communities due to declining pH: results from laboratory culture experiments. Science China Earth Sciences, 62(7): 1151-1166.
5. *Yanli Lei, Tiegang Li, Zhimin Jian and Rajiv Nigam, 2017.Taxonomy and Distribution of Benthic Foraminifera in intertidal zone of the Yellow Sea: Correlations with Sediment Temperature and Salinity. Marine Micropaleontology. 133:1-20.
6. *Yanli Lei, Tiegang Li, Rajiv Nigam, Maria Holzmann and Man Lyu, 2017. Environmental significance of morphological variations in the foraminifer Ammonia aomoriensis (Asano, 1951) and its molecular identification: a study from the Yellow Sea and East China Sea, PR China. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology. （483）49-57.
7. Yanli Lei* and Tiegang Li*, 2018. Morphology of four Miliolinella species (Foraminifera, Protozoa) with description of a new species, Miliolinella obesa nov. spec., from the tropical West Pacific Ocean. Acta Oceanologica Sinica, 37(10): 1-7.
8. *Man Lyu, Yanli Lei*, Tiegang Li*, 2018. Comparison of Different DNA Preservation methods on Quinqueloculina spp. (Foraminifera, Miliolida). Journal of Foraminiferal Research, 48(3): 186-192.
9. Yanli Lei*, Tiegang Li*, Zhimin Jian, Rajiv Nigam, 2017. Taxonomy and Distribution of Benthic Foraminifera in intertidal zone of the Yellow Sea, PR China: Correlations with Sediment Temperature and Salinity. Marine Micropaleontology, 133: 1-20.
10. Yanli Lei*, Tiegang Li*, Rajiv Nigam, Maria Holzmann, Man Lyu, 2017. Environmental significance of morphological variations in the foraminifer Ammonia aomoriensis (Asano, 1951) and its molecular identification: A study from the Yellow Sea and East China Sea, PR China. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 483: 49-57.
11. Zhoufei Yu, Yanli Lei, Tiegang Li*, 2016. Mean proloculus size as a salinity index in benthic foraminifera Ammonia aomoriensis: based on culture and seasonal studies. Journal of the Palaeontological Society of India, 61(2): 215-223.
12. Yan Li Lei, Tie Gang Li*, Hongsheng Bi, Wen Lin Cui, Wen Peng Song, Ji Ye Li, Cheng Chun Li. 2015. Responses of benthic foraminifera to the 2011 oil spill in the Bohai Sea, PR China. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 96: 245-260.
13. Yan-Li Lei*, Karen Stumm, Stephen A. Wickham, Ulrike-G. Berninger. 2014. Distributions and Biomass of Benthic Ciliates, Foraminifera and Amoeboid Protists in Marine, Brackish and Freshwater Sediments. Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, 61: 493-508.
14. Yanli Lei*, Karen Stumm, Nils Volkenborn, Stephen A. Wickham, Ulrike-G. Berninger, 2010. Impact of Arenicola marina (Polychaeta) on the microbial assemblages and meiobenthos in a marine intertidal flat. Marine Biology, 157(6): 1271-1282.
15. Yanli Lei, Kuidong Xu*, Joong Ki Choi, Hyun Pyo Hong and Stephen A. Wickham, 2009. Community structure and seasonal dynamics of planktonic ciliates along salinity gradients. European Journal of Protistology, 45(4): 305–319
16. Yanli Lei, Kuidong Xu*, Joong Ki Choi, 2005. Holosticha hamulata n. sp. and Holosticha heterofoissneri Hu & Song, 2001, two urostylid ciliates (Protozoa, Ciliophora) from intertidal sediments of the Yellow Sea. Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, 52(4): 310-318.
17. Yanli Lei, Joong Ki Choi, Kuidong Xu*, Wolfgang Petz, 2005. Morphology and infraciliature of three species of Metaurostylopsis (Ciliophora, Stichotrichia): M. songi n. sp., M. salina n. sp., and M. marina (Kahl 1932) from sediments, saline ponds, and coastal waters. Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, 52(1): 1-10.
18. Yanli Lei, Joong Ki Choi*, Kuidong Xu. 2002. Morphology and infraciliature of a new marine ciliate Euplotidium smalli n. sp. with description of a new genus, Paraeuplotidium n. g. (Ciliophora, Euplotida). Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, 49(5): 402-406.