I am now an associate professor in the key lab of marine geology and environment, CAS. I got my doctor degree in 2013 at Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences. In the last ten years, my research interests are mainly on sediment transport processes and related bedform reacts which span multiple levels of focus, from site observation of modern sediment transport processes, to building models of regional sand transport, to bedform evolution and historical records of sediment under sea level changes. I am also highly interested and involved in cross researches bridging climate, hydrodynamics, bedform, and sedimentary record. In my researches, a comprehensive set of techniques can be used, including sediment dynamics measurement, geophysical detection, sediment sampling and analysis, model simulation. I have lots of experiences of outdoor sampling and have conducted several voyage surveys. I am also interested in the storm-records studies using sediment cores from blue hole or coast area. In 2018-2019, I visited Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution as a guest investigator and work on hurricane reconstruction with senior scientist Jeffrey Donnelly.
2013: Ph.D. Marine Geology, Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences (successive postgraduate and doctoral programs )
2008: B.S. Resource exploration and engineering, China University of Geosciences, Beijing
Member, IAEG Commission of Marine Engineering Geology (C34)
Characters and origins of distinguished features on the seafloor (e.g. sand dunes/ridges, seamounts) and their similarity and differences with the analogues in the terrestrial or other planetary environment (e.g. mountains, dunes on land, dunes and TARs on Mars).
Topography of seafloor, seabed processes, and modern sediment transport processes from nearshore to deep sea area.
Seabed and sediment transport responses to storms and sea-level fluctuations in the modern times and Holocene.
Nearshore and offshore seafloor digital mapping using high-resolution subbottom profiler and swath bathymetric sonar system.
Storm reconstruction using cores from blue hole and coast area.
1. Ma, X., Yan, J., Song, Y., Liu, X., Zhang, J., Traykovski, P. A., 2019, Morphology and maintenance of steep dunes near dune asymmetry transitional areas on the shallow shelf (Beibu Gulf, northwest South China Sea). Marine Geology, 412, 37-52.
2. Zhang, H., Ma, X.*, Zhuang, L., Yan, J., 2019. Sand waves near the shelf break of the northern South China Sea: morphology and recent mobility. Geo-Marine Letters, 39(1), 19-36.
3. Ma, X., Li, J. and Yan, J., 2018. Tide‐induced bedload transport pathways in a multiple‐sand‐ridge system offshore of Hainan Island in the Beibu Gulf, northwest South China Sea. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 43(13): 2738-2753.
4. Lu, J., Jiang, J., Li, A., and Ma, X., 2018. Impact of Typhoon Chan-hom on the marine environment and sediment dynamics on the inner shelf of the East China Sea: In-situ sea？oor observations. Marine Geology, 406: 72-83.
5. Ma, X., J. Yan, Y. Hou, F. Lin, and X. Zheng, 2016, Footprints of obliquely incident internal solitarywaves and internal tides near the shelf break in the northern South China Sea, J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, 121, doi:10.1002/2016JC012009.
6. Ma, X., Yan J, Luan Z, et al., 2016, High-resolution topography measurement of PACMANUS and DESMOS hydrothermal fields using a ROV in Manus basin, Science Bulletin, 61(15), 1154-1156, doi:10.1007/s11434-016-1114-y.
7. Ma, X., Yan J., Fan, F., 2014, Morphology of submarine barchans and sediment transport in barchans fields off the Dongfang coast in Beibu Gulf. Geomorphology, 213, 213-224. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geomorph.2014.01.010.
8. Ma, X., Yan J., Fan, F., Yao, P., 2013, Response of bedload transport,submarine topography, and dune internal structures to typhoon processes offDongfang coast in the Beibu Gulf, Acta Oceanologica Sinica, 32(4), 27-40, doi: 10.1007/s13131-013-0296-2.
9. X. Ma and J. Yan. Geometry and internal structures of dunes in the bedloadconvergence regions in Beibu Gulf, northwest South China Sea. In:Van Landeghem, K.J.J., Garlan T. and Baas, J.H. (Eds), 2016. MARID 2016. Fifth InternationalConference on Marine and River Dune Dynamics, Caernarfon, United Kingdom, 4-6 April 2016.Bangor University and SHOM. 216 pp.
10. Gan Yu, Ma Xiao Chuan*, Yan Jun. The application of spatial cross correlation in analyzing the migration of submarine sand waves. Haiyang Xuebao，2019，41(4)：42-52. (in Chinese with English abstract)
11. Li Jinyuan, Ma Xiaochuan*, Yan Jun. Construction of stable armoring layers on seabed during submarine pipeline maintenance. Marine Sciences, 2019, 42(9): 1-7. (in Chinese with English abstract)
12. Ma Xiaochuan, Luan Zhendong, Zhang Xin,et al. 2017, Near-bottom topography measurement using ROV and its application in a deep-sea hydrothermal field in the Manus Basin. Haiyang Xuebao, 39(3), 76-84, doi:10.3969/j.issn.0253-4193.2017.03.007. (in Chinese with English abstract)
13. GUO Li, MA Xiaochuan, YAN Jun, 2017, Distribution pattern and control factors of sand waves in southeast Beibu gulf, Marine Geology & Quaternary geology, 37(1), 67-76. (in Chinese with English abstract)
14. Song Yongdong, Ma Xiaochuan, Zhang Guangxu, Liu Xiansan, Luan Zhendong, Dong dongdong, Yan jun, 2016, Heat flow in-situ measurement at Yap Trench of the western Pacific. Marine Geology & Quaternary geology, 36(4), 51-56. (in Chinese with English abstract)
15. GONG Shi-qi, YAN Jun, MA Xiao-chuan, LUAN Zhen-dong, CHEN Chang-an, 2016, Topographical and geomorphological features of seafloor in northern Meizhou Gulf, Marine Sciences, 40(8),61-69. (in Chinese with English abstract)
16. Zhou Chuan, Fan Fengxin, Luan Zhendong, Ma Xiaochuan, Yan Jun, 2013, Geomorphology and hazardous geological factors on the continental shelf of the northern South China Sea, Marine Geology Frontiers, 29(1), 51-60. (in Chinese Chinese with English abstract)
17. Ma Xiaochuan, Yan Jun, Fan Fengxin, Wang Shiwen, Yao Ping, 2012, Bedform dynamics and suspended sediment transport near sea bottom in the south of Beibu Gulf, Haiyang Xuebao, 34(4), 109-120. (in Chinese with English abstract)
18. Ma Xiaochuan, Fan Fengxin, Yan jun, 2011,In-situ monitoring platform for marine sediment dynamics and its application, Marine Geology & Quaternary geology, 31(4), 179-185. (in Chinese with English abstract)