2017-resent, Professor, Key Laboratory of Marine Geology and Environment, Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
2011-2012, Visiting scholar, GEOMAR Helmholtz Center for Ocean Research Kiel
2008-2016 Associate Professor, Key Laboratory of Marine Geology and Environment, Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
2001-2008 Assistant Professor, Key Laboratory of Marine Geology and Environment, Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
1998-2001, Ph.D. Marine Geology, Department of Marine Geosciences, Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
1995-1998, M.S. Marine Geology, Department of Marine Geosciences, Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
1991-1995, B.S. Sratigraphy and Paleontology, Faculty of Earth Sciences, China University of Geosciences
Member of Chinese Association for Quaternary Research
My primary research interests fall within the understanding, application, and further development of sedimentological, geochemical and isotopic signatures, archived in marine sediments, as proxies for the identification of sediment provenance, the reconstruction of paleoclimate change in different time scale and the exploration on forcing mechanism of paleoclimate.
(1) Participated in IODP expedition 351 as a sedimentologist and reconstructed the history of Asian dust input in the Northwest Pacific since 25 Ma.
(2) Quantitatively separated Asian dust from volcanic material and reconstructed dust flux in the tropical Northwest Pacific over the last 2 Ma, and confirmed that orbital forcing and the feedback mechanism of eolian dust play a key role in the significant increase of dust flux and climate transition in the Northwest Pacific during the Middle Pleistocene.
(3) Reconstructed orbital timescale sedimentary flux of volcanic material in the tropical Northwest Pacific since the late Quaternary, and confirmed that global sea level change and ENSO forced volcanic material to supply to the Northwest Pacific.
Honors and Awards
(1) The second prize of Marine Innovation Achievement of State Oceanic Administration in 2011. Paleoceanographic study of Kuroshio area, Major contributors: Li T.G., Chang F.M., Jiang F., Xiang R., Xiao S., Zhao J., Sun R., Chen J., Yu X. and Xu Z.
(2) The first prize of Marine Innovation Achievement of State Oceanic Administration in 2004. Research on paleoenvironmental evolution of Okinawa Trough and adjacent continental shelf.
(3) The second prize of the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China, 2003. Magmatism and Submarine Hydrothermal Activity in the Okinawa Trough.
(1) Zhang Z, Jiang F*, Li T, et al. (2020). Sea-level changes controlled detrital sediment inputs to the Bicol Shelf in the western Philippine Sea since 150 ka. Journal of Oceanology and Limnology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00343-020-0051-4.
(2) Jiang F*, Zhu X, Li T et al. (2019). Increased dust deposition in the Parece Vela Basin since the mid-Pleistocene inferred from radiogenic Sr and Nd isotopes. Global and Planetary Change, 173, 83-95.
(3) Jiang F*, Xiong Z, Frank M, et al. (2019). The evolution and control of detrital sediment provenance in the middle and northern Okinawa Trough since the last deglaciation: Evidence from Sr and Nd isotopes. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 522, 1–11.
(4) Jiang F*, Zhou Y, Nan Q et al. (2016). Contribution of Asian dust and volcanic material to the western Philippine Sea over the last 220 kyr as inferred from grain size and Sr-Nd isotopes, J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, 121, 6911–6928,
(5) Huang J, Jiang F, Wan S M, Zhang J, Li A, Li T (2016). Terrigenous supplies variability over the past 22,000 yr in the southern South China Sea slope: Relation to sea level and monsoon rainfall changes. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 117, 317-327.
(6) Arculus R J, Ishizuka O, Bogus K A, Gurnis M C, Hickey-Vargas R, Aljahdali M H, Bandini A N, Barth A P, Brandl P A, Drab L, Guerra R M, Hamada M, Jiang F et al.(2015). A record of spontaneous subduction initiation in the Izu–Bonin–Mariana arc, Nature Geoscience, 8:728-733.
(7) Arculus RJ, Ishizuka O, Bogus K, Aljahdali MH, Bandini-Maeder AN, Barth AP, Brandl PA, do Monte Guerra R, Drab L, Gurnis MC, Hamada M, Hickey-Vargas RL, Jiang F, et al. (2015). Site U1438. In Arculus, R.J., Ishizuka, O., Bogus, K., and the Expedition 351 Scientists,Proceedings of the International Ocean Discovery Program, Expedition 351: Izu-Bonin-Mariana Arc Origins: College Station, TX (International Ocean Discovery Program). http://dx.doi.org/ 10.14379/iodp.proc.351.103.
(8) Jiang F*, Frank M, Li T, Chen T-Y, Xu Z, Li A (2013). Asian dust input in the western Philippine Sea: Evidence from radiogenic Sr and Nd isotopes, Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems, 14, 1538–1551,doi: 10.1002/ggge.20116.
(9) Jiang F*, Li A C and Li T G (2011). Sediment pathway of the East China Sea inferred from an R-mode factor analysis of surface sediments in the Okinawa Trough. Quaternary International,230:13-20.
(10) Jiang F*, Li A C, Li T G (2010) Sedimentary response to volcanic activity in the Okinawa Trough since last deglaciation. Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology, 28(1): 171-182.
(11) Jiang F*, Zhou X J, Li A C and Li T G (2009). Quantitatively distinguish sediments from the Changjiang and Huanghe River using δEuN-ΣREEs plot. Science in China, series D, 52（2）：232-241.