2006.02.06-present: Full research professor, Institute of Oceanology, CAS;
2005.02.01-2005.07.15: Scientist II, ORA/NESDIS, NOAA;
2002.10.01-2005.01.31: Senior Scientist/Data Specialist, NASA Goddard Earth Science, Data and Information Service Center, Distributed Active Archive Center;
2000.10.01-2002.09.30: Assistant Research Scientist, GEST/University of Maryland, Baltimore County, working at Code 971, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center;
1998.02.01-2000.09.30: Visiting Fellow, University Space Research Association, working at Code 971, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center;
1995.10.01-1998.01.31: Postdoctor, Department of Oceanography, Florida State University.
1991.09.01-1995.08.15 Ph. D., Department of Oceanography, Florida State University;
1995.08.01-08.15 Summer School for Earth Sciences, Processes of Global Change, Jet Propulsion Laboratory/NASA;
1988.09.01-1991.07.20 M.S., Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences;
1984.09.01-1988.07.01 B.S., Department of Mechanical Engineering, Beijing University.
1993-Present American Geophysical Union;
1995-present American Meteorological Society;
Chinese-American Ocean and Atmosphere Association (life member)
2007-present Chinese Society of Oceanography and Limnology.
2008.01-2010.12 American Geophysical Union-Cooperative International Panel (Committee)
2009.01-2010.10 Chief guest editor of Deep Sea Res. II (Elsevier) special issue: Kuroshio and Marginal Sea
2009.05-2014.02 Guest Editor of Prog. Oceanogr. (Elsevier) Special issue: PAMS
2012.10-Present CLIVAR NPOCE program Scientific Steering Committee (2013.07-2018.09 Executive deputy director)
2014.01-2015.12 CLIVAR Pacific Panel member
2015.04-Present TPOS2020-BB TT、TPOS2020-WBC TT
Ocean circulation and climate dynamics: Indo-Pacific interactions through the Indonesian seas, tropical climate variations from intraseasonal to centennial time scales, ENSO and IOD dynamics, western boundary current dynamics, etc.
Shelf ocean circulation: Yellow, East China Sea, and South China Sea circulation and dynamics, cross-shelf circulation and transport, cross-shelf penetrating fronts, etc.
"Taishan Scholar Distinguished Expert" of Shandong Province（2019.09）
Head scientist of NSFC Innovative Research Group Grant (2015-2020)
PI of CAS Strategic Priority Project: WPOS (2013-2017);
Chief scientist of National Basic Research Program of China: Project ROME (2012-2016);
Outstanding Young Scientist career award by the NSF of China in 2008;
“Hundreds-Talent Program” professor of Chinese Academy of Sciences since 2006;
Fellowship, USRA (1998-2001);
Second Prize of Shandong Provincial Science & Technology Award (2018.03.23)
Major contributor of 2017 Outstanding Science and Technology Achievement Prize of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (2018.01)
Shandong Provincial Award for Overseas Returned Students Achievement (2012.11)
Shandong Provincial Award for Promoting International Science and Technology Cooperation (2011.09)
National candidates of National Millions of Talent Projects in the New Century (2009.12.29)
The National Science Foundation of China Outstanding Young Scholar Award (2008)
The National Science Foundation of Shandong Provincial Outstanding Young Scholar Award (2008)
1. Li X., Yang Y., Li R., Zhang L., and Yuan D. Structure and dynamics of the Pacific North Equatorial Subsurface Current. 2020, Sci. Rep., 10,11758(2020).
2. Yang Y, Li X, Wang J and Yuan D. Seasonal variability and dynamics of the Pacific North Equatorial Subsurface Current. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 2020, 50(9):2457-2474.
3. Li, X., Yuan, D., Wang, Z., Li, Y. et al. (2020). Moored observations of transport and variability of Halmahera Sea currents.Journal of Physical Oceanography, 2020，50(2):471-488.DOI: doi.org/10.1175/JPO-D-19-0109.1.
4. Yuan, D., Song, X., Yang, Y., and W. K.Dewar, 2019: Dynamics of Mesoscale Eddies Interacting With a Western Boundary Current Flowing by a Gap, Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 10.1029/2019JC014949.
5. Yuan D., et al., 2018: Observed Transport Variations in the Maluku Channel of the Indonesian Seas Associated with Western Boundary Current Changes, J. Phys. Oceanogr., 48: 1803-1813, DOI: 10.1175/JPO-D-17-0120.1.
6. Yuan D., J. Hao, J. Li, and L. He, 2018: Cross-shelf carbon transport under different greenhouse gas emission scenarios in the East China Sea during winter, Sci. China-Earth Sci., 61(6), 659-667.
7. Zhou H., D. Yuan, L. Yang, X. Li, and W. K.Dewar, 2018: Decadal variability of the meridional geostrophic transport in the upper tropical North Pacific Ocean, J. Phys. Oceanogr., 31(15): 5891-5910.
8. Zhao, X. D. Yuan, G. Yang, J. Wang, H. Liu, R. Zhang, and W. Han, 2018: Interannual variability and dynamics of intraseasonal wind rectification in the equatorial Pacific Ocean, Clim. Dyn. 52:4351-4369.
9. Yuan, D., P. Xu, and T. Xu, 2017: Climate variability and predictability associated with the Indo-Pacific Oceanic Channel Dynamics in the CCSM4 coupled system model, Chin. J. Oceanol. Limnol., 35(1), 23-28.
10. Yuan, D., Y. Li, B. Wang, L. He, and N. Hirose, 2017: Coastal circulation in the southwestern Yellow Sea in the summers of 2008 and 2009, Cont. Shelf Res., 143, 101-117.
11. Wang, J., and D. Yuan, 2015: Roles of western and eastern boundary reflections in the interannual sea level variations during negative Indian Ocean Dipole events. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 45, 1804-1821, DOI: 10.1175/JPO-D-14-0124.1.
12. Yuan, D., Z. Zhang, P.C. Chu and W. K. Dewar, 2014: Geostrophic Circulation in the Tropical North Pacific Ocean Based on Argo Profiles. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 44, 558-575, doi: 10.1175/JPO-D-12-0230.1.
13. Wang, Z., D. Yuan, 2014: Multiple equilibria and hysteresis of two unequal transport western boundary currents colliding at a gap. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 44, 1873-1885, doi: 10.1175/JPO-D-13-0234.1.
14. Yuan, D., H. Zhou, and X. Zhao, 2013: Interannual climate variability over the tropical Pacific Ocean induced by Indian Ocean Dipole through Indonesian Throughflow. J. Climate, 2845-2861, doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-12-00117.1.
15. Wang, Z., and D. Yuan, 2012: Nonlinear Dynamics of Two Western Boundary Currents Colliding at a Gap. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 42(11), 2030-2040.
16. Yuan, D., J. Wang, T. Xu, P. Xu, H. Zhou, X. Zhao, Y. Luan, W. Zheng, Y. Yu, 2011: Forcing of Indian Ocean Dipole on the interannual variations of the tropical Pacific Ocean: Roles of the Indonesian Throughflow. J. Clim., 24, 3593-3608.
17. Yuan, D., and Z. Wang, 2011: Hysteresis and Dynamics of a Western Boundary Current Flowing by a Gap Forced by Impingement of Meso-scale Eddies. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 41, 878-888, doi: 10.1175/2010JPO4489.1
18. Yuan, D., and Y. Hsueh, 2010: Dynamics of the cross-shelf circulation in the Yellow and East China Seas in winter. Deep Sea Research II, 57(19-20), 1745-1761.