2019–present, Professor, Key Laboratory of Ocean Circulation and Waves, Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
2016–2019, Associate Professor, Key Laboratory of Ocean Circulation and Waves, Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
2013–2015, Research Associate, Key Laboratory of Ocean Circulation and Waves, Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
Ph.D., 2008-2013, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, China.
B.S. , 2004-2008, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, China.
Dynamics of Intermediate and Deep Ocean Circulations, Near-inertial Internal Waves, Turbulence and Mixing
Understanding the structure and variability of the intermediate-deep ocean currents, and predicting their future changes is a great challenge for the ocean and climate sciences. However, the ocean current observations in the intermediate and deep levels are much limited, and there remain large gaps in our knowledge of the intermediate-deep ocean currents. My research focuses on the dynamics of the intermediate and deep ocean currents in the western tropical Pacific, and the academic achievements are summarized as follows. 1) I realized the long-term and real-time mooring observations of the main limbs of the intermediate and deep ocean currents; 2) I revealed the new structure and multi-time scale variability of the equatorial intermediate currents and the upper and lower branches of the Pacific meridional overturning circulation (PMOC) at the key regions, and their corresponding dynamic mechanisms; and 3) I proposed the mechanisms for the vertical propagating signals of climate change to the intermediate and deep layers.
Honors and Awards
1. Huiquan Young Scholar, IOCAS, 2017
2. Member, Youth Innovation Promotion Association, CAS, 2019
3. Ocean Engineering Science and Technology Award “Construction and Operation of a Real-Time Scientific Observing Network in the Western Pacific and Data Application”, the first prize, the second prize-winner, 2019
1. Jianing Wang, Qiang Ma, Fan Wang*, Dongxiao Zhang, Linking seasonal-to-interannual variability of intermediate currents in the southwest tropical Pacific to wind forcing and ENSO, Geophysical Research Letters, 2021, e2021GL092440.
2. Qiang Ma, Jianing Wang*, Fan Wang, Dongxiao Zhang, Zhixiang Zhang, Yilong Lyu, Interannual variability of Lower Equatorial Intermediate Current response to ENSO in the western Pacific, Geophysical Research Letters, 2020, 47(16): e2020GL089311. (Corresponding Author)
3. Jianing Wang#, Qiang Ma#, Fan Wang*, Youyu Lu, Larry J. Pratt, Seasonal variation of the deep limb of the Pacific meridional overturning circulation at Yap-Mariana Junction, Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 2020, 125(7): e2019JC016017.
4. Zhixiang Zhang, Larry J Pratt, Fan Wang, Jianing Wang*, and Shuwen Tan, Intermediate intraseasonal variability in the western tropical Pacific Ocean: meridional distribution of equatorial Rossby waves influenced by a tilted boundary, Journal of Physical Oceanography, 2020, 50, 921-933. (Corresponding Author)
5. Qiang Ma, Fan Wang, Jianing Wang*, Yilong Lyu, Intensified deep ocean variability induced by topographic Rossby waves at the Pacific Yap‐Mariana Junction, Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 2019, 124, 8360-8374. (Corresponding Author)
6. Jing Gao, Jianing Wang*, Fan Wang, Response of Near-Inertial Shear to Wind Stress Curl and Sea Level, Scientific Reports, 2019, 9, 20417, doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-56822-z. (Corresponding Author)
7. Jianing Wang#, Youyu Lu#, Fan Wang*, Rong-Hua Zhang, Surface Current in “Hotspot” Serves as a New and Effective Precursor for El Nino Prediction, Scientific Reports, 2017, 7, 166, doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-00244-2.
8. Fan Wang#, Jianing Wang#, Cong Guan, Qiang Ma, Dongxiao Zhang, Mooring Observations of Equatorial Currents in the Upper 1000 m of the Western Pacific Ocean During 2014, Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 2016, 121(6): 3730-3740, doi:10.1002/2015JC011510.
9. Jianing Wang, Liang Zhao, Renfu Fan, Hao Wei*, Scaling Relationships for Diffusive Boundary Layer Thickness and Diffusive Flux Based On In Situ Measurements in Coastal Seas, Progress in Oceanography, 2016, 144: 1-14.
10. Jianing Wang, Blair J. W. Greenan*, Youyu Lu, Neil S. Oakey, William J. Shaw, Layered Mixing on the New England Shelf in Summer, Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 2014, 119(9): 5776-5796.
11. Jianing Wang, Hao Wei*, Youyu Lu, Liang Zhao, Diffusive Boundary Layer Influenced by Bottom Boundary Hydrodynamics in Tidal Flows, Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 2013, 118(11): 5994-6005.
12. Jianing Wang, Liang Zhao, Hao Wei*, Variable Diffusion Boundary Layer and Diffusion Flux at Sediment-Water Interface in Response to Dynamic Forcing over an Intertidal Mudflat, Chinese Science Bulletin, 2012, 57(13): 1568-1577.