Research Scientist, CAS Key Laboratory of Ocean Circulation and Waves, Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2017-present
Postdoc Research Associate, Department of Atmosphere and Ocean Sciences, University of Colorado at Boulder, 2012-2017
Ph.D. 2012, Physical Oceanography, Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
M.Sc. 2009, Physical Oceanography, Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
B.Sc. 2005, Marine Science, Ocean University of China
Current Research Projects
Long-term changes of the southeast Indian Ocean and its impact on marine heatwaves, NSFC basic program, 2018-2021
Decadal variability of the southeast Indian Ocean and its impact on regional climate (NSFC), NSFC young scientist program, 2019-2021
Ocean Physics, CAS pioneering innovation program, 2018-2020
Ocean Circulation and Water Masses in the Indo-Pacific Oceans
Decadal Air-Sea Interaction and Climate Variability of the Indian Ocean
Intraseasonal Oceanic Variability and Air-Sea interactions
Honors and Awards
2017, “1000-Expert” Young Scientist program, Physical Oceanography, 2017
2017, Outstanding Award of CAS, Tropical Pacific Western Boundary Current team
1. Li, Y.*, Han, W., Zhang, L., & Wang, F. (2019). Decadal SST Variability in the Southeast Indian Ocean and Its Impact on Regional Climate. Journal of Climate, in press, https://doi.org/10.1175/JCLI-D-19-0180.1.
2. Duan, J., Li, Y.*, Wang, F., & Chen, Z. (2019). Multidecadal change of the Mindanao Current: Is there a robust trend? Geophysical Research Letters, 46, 6755–6764.
3. Duan, J., Li, Y., Wang, F., & Chen, Z. H. (2019). Decadal Variations of the Mindanao Current During 1960-2010. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans, 124(4), 2660-2678.
4. Li, Y.*, Han, W., Hu, A., Meehl, G. A., & Wang, F. (2018). Multidecadal Changes of the Upper Indian Ocean Heat Content during 1965–2016. Journal of Climate, 31(19), 7863-7884.
5. Li, Y.*, W. Han, W. Wang, L. Zhang, and M. Ravichandran (2018). The Indian Summer Monsoon Intraseasonal Oscillations in CFSv2 Forecasts: Biases and Importance of Improving Air–Sea Interaction Processes. Journal of Climate, 31, 5351-5370.
6. Song, L., Li, Y.*, Wang, F., Wang, J., and Liu, C. (2018). Subsurface structure and variability of the zonal currents in the northwestern tropical Pacific Ocean. Deep-Sea Res., Part I, 141, 11-23.
7. Lyu, Y., Li, Y., Tang, X., Wang, F., & Wang, J. (2018). Contrasting Intraseasonal Variations of the Equatorial Pacific Ocean between the 1997-1998 and 2015-2016 El Ni？o Events. Geophysical Research Letters, 45, 9748-9756, doi:10.1029/2018GL078915.
8. Ren, Q., Li, Y., Wang, F., Song, L., Liu, C., & Zhai, F. (2018). Seasonality of the Mindanao Current/Undercurrent system. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 123, 1105–1122.
9. Chen, G., Li, Y., Xie, Q., & Wang, D. (2018). Origins of eddy kinetic energy in the Bay of Bengal. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 123, 2097-2115., doi:10.1002/2017JC013455
10. Song, L., Li, Y., Wang, F. et al. (2018) Tropical Meridional Overturning Circulation Observed by Subsurface Moorings in the Western Pacific. Scientific Reports, 8, 7632, doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-26047-7.
11. Li, Y.*, Han, W., & Zhang, L. (2017). Enhanced Decadal Warming of the Southeast Indian Ocean During the Recent Global Surface Warming Slowdown. Geophysical Research Letters, 44(19), 9876-9884.
12. Li, Y.*, Han, W., Ravichandran, M., Wang, W., Shinoda, T., & Lee, T. (2017). Bay of Bengal salinity stratification and Indian summer monsoon intraseasonal oscillation: 1. Intraseasonal variability and causes. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 122(5), 4291-4311.
13. Li, Y.*, Han, W., Wang, W., Ravichandran, M., Lee, T., & Shinoda, T. (2017). Bay of Bengal salinity stratification and Indian summer monsoon intraseasonal oscillation: 2. Impact on SST and convection. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 122(5), 4312-4328.
14. Li, Y.*, Han, W., Wang, W., & Ravichandran, M. (2016). Intraseasonal Variability of SST and Precipitation in the Arabian Sea during the Indian Summer Monsoon: Impact of Ocean Mixed Layer Depth. Journal of Climate, 29(21), 7889-7910.
15. Li, Y.*, & Han, W. (2016). Causes for intraseasonal sea surface salinity variability in the western tropical Pacific Ocean and its seasonality. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 121(1), 85-103.
16. Li, Y.*, & Han, W. (2015). Decadal Sea Level Variations in the Indian Ocean Investigated with HYCOM: Roles of Climate Modes, Ocean Internal Variability, and Stochastic Wind Forcing. Journal of Climate, 28(23), 9143-9165.
17. Li, Y.*, Han, W., & Lee, T. (2015). Intraseasonal sea surface salinity variability in the equatorial Indo-Pacific Ocean induced by Madden-Julian oscillations. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 120(3), 2233-2258.
18. Li, Y., & Wang, F. (2015). Thermocline spiciness variations in the tropical Indian ocean observed during 2003–2014. Deep-Sea Res, Part I, 97, 52–66.
19. Li, Y.*, Han, W., Wilkin, J. L., Zhang, W. G., Arango, H., Zavala-Garay, J., . . . Castruccio, F. S. (2014). Interannual variability of the surface summertime eastward jet in the South China Sea. J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, 119(10), 7205-7228.
20. Li, Y.*, Han, W., Shinoda, T., Wang, C., Ravichandran, M., & Wang, J.-W. (2014). Revisiting the Wintertime Intraseasonal SST Variability in the Tropical South Indian Ocean: Impact of the Ocean Interannual Variation. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 44(7), 1886-1907.
21. Li, Y.*, Han, W., Shinoda, T., Wang, C., Lien, R. C., Moum, J. N., & Wang, J. W. (2013). Effects of the diurnal cycle in solar radiation on the tropical Indian Ocean mixed layer variability during wintertime Madden-Julian Oscillations. J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, 118(10), 4945-4964, doi:4910.1002/jgrc.20395.
22. Li, Y., F. Wang and W. Han. (2013). Interannual sea surface salinity variations observed in the tropical North Pacific Ocean. Geophys. Res. Lett., 40, 2194–2199, doi:2110.1002/grl.50429.
23. Li, Y., Wang, F., & Zhai, F. (2012). Interannual Variations of Subsurface Spiciness in the Philippine Sea: Observations and Mechanism. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 42(6), 1022-1038. doi:10.1175/jpo-d-12-06.1
24. Li, Y., & Wang, F. (2012). Spreading and salinity change of North Pacific Tropical Water in the Philippine Sea. J. Oceanogr., 68, 439-452.
25. Li, Y., Wang, F., & Sun, Y. (2012). Low-Frequency spiciness variations in the tropical Pacific Ocean observed during 2003-2012. Geophys. Res. Lett., 39, L23601, doi:10.1029/2012GL053971.