2010 - present Professor, Institute of Oceanology, CAS
2014 visiting Professor, Toulon University, France
2013 Visiting Professor, Plymouth University, UK 2008 Visiting Professor, LOV, Villefranche-sur-mer, CNRS, France
2004-2010, Associate Professor, Institute of Oceanology, CAS
2001-2004 Postdoc. Inha University, Korea
1998-2001, Ph. D., Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
1996-1998, M. Sc., Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
1992-1996, B. Sc., College of Marine Life, Ocean University of China
Committee Member, Chinese Society for Oceanology and Limnology (2022-)
Vice Chairman, Ecology Branch Committee of Chinese Society for Oceanology and Limnology (2022-)
Executive member, International Association for Biological Oceanography (2019-)
Committee Member, SCOR Committee on Capacity Development (2021- )
Committee Member, SCOR Nomination Committee (2020 )
Committee Member, SCOR Constitution Committee(2017-)
Committee Member, China SCOR Committee (2020- )
Committee Member, Sustainable Ecology Committee of Chinese Ecological Society (2020-)
Committee Member, Environmental Microplastics Working Group of China Soil Society (2020-)
Secretary-in-general, Chinese CoML (Census of Marine Life) Committee (2004-2010)
Committee Member, International OBIS (Ocean Biogeographic Information System) management Committee (2008-2016)
Long term change of marine ecosystems, Marine ecological disaster and ecological security,
Ecological risk of microplastics, Marine ecosystem health assessment, Plankton ecology.
Honors and Awards
2022, Marine Science and Technology Award of China (Second Prize): Study on distribution and function of plankton community on continental slope.
2018, The 11th Qingdao Youth Science and Technology Award.
2018, Marine Science and Technology Award of China (First Prize): Life history and ourbreak mechanism of large disaster causing jellyfish in the Yellow Sea and East China Sea.
2016, Marine Science and Technology Award of China (First Prize) for the Bay Ecosystem long term research.
2015, Marine Outstanding Science and Technology Book Award (First Prize) for the English monograph "Marine Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics of the North-western Pacific Ocean".
2014, China Ecosystem Research Network Science and Technology Contribution Award.
1. Dai S., Zhao Y. F., Li X. G., Wang Z. Y., Zhu M. L., Liang J. H., Liu H. J., Sun X. X.* (2022). Seamount effect on phytoplankton biomass and community above a deep seamount in the tropical western Pacific, Marine Pollution Bulletin 175: 113354.
2. Guo S. J., Wu Y., Zhu M. L., Sun X. X.* (2022). Concentrations of transparent exopolymer particles (TEPs) and their role in the carbon export in the South China Sea and western tropical North Pacific, Marine Environmental Research 179: 105699.
3. Zheng S., Zhao Y. F., Liu T., Liang J. H., Zhu M. L., Sun X. X.*(2021). Seasonal characteristics of microplastics ingested by copepods in Jiaozhou Bay, the Yellow Sea, Science of The Total Environment,776：145936.
4. Zheng S, Zhao Y. F, Liangwei W. H, Liang J. H, Liu T, Zhu M. L, Li Q. J, Sun X. X*, (2020). Characteristics of microplastics ingested by zooplankton from the Bohai Sea, China. Science of The Total Environment.713: 136357.
5. Liu T, Zhao Y. F, Zhu M. L, Liang J. H, Zheng S, Sun X. X*, (2020). Seasonal variation of micro- and meso-plastics in the seawater of Jiaozhou Bay, the Yellow Sea. Marine Pollution Bulletin.152: 110922.
6. Sun X. X*, Li Q. J, Shi Y. Q, Zhao Y. F, Zheng S.(2019).Characteristics and retention of microplastics in the digestive tracts of fish from the Yellow Sea. Environmental Pollution.249:878-885.
7. Zhang W. J, Sun X. X*, Zheng S, Zhu M. L, Liang J. H, Du J.(2019). Plankton abundance, biovolume, and normalized biovolume size spectra in the northern slope of the South China Sea in autumn 2014 and summer 2015. Deep-Sea Research Part II-Topical Studies in Oceanography. 167:79-92.
8. Sun X. X*, Liu T, Zhu M. L, Liang J. H, Zhao Y. F, Zhang B. (2018). Retention and characteristics of microplastics in natural zooplankton taxa from the East China Sea. Science of The Total Environment. 640-641: 232-242.
9. Sun X. X*, Liang J. H, Zhu M. L, Zhao Y. F, Zhang B. (2018) Microplastics in seawater and zooplankton from the Yellow Sea. Environmental Pollution. 242: 585-595.
10. Sun X. X*, Li Q. J, Zhu M. L, Liang J. H, Zheng S, Zhao Y. F. (2017). Ingestion of microplastics by natural zooplankton groups in the northern South China Sea, Marine Pollution Bulletin. 115: 217-224.
11. Yang Y, Sun X. X*, Zhu M. L, Luo X, Zheng S.(2017). Estimating the carbon biomass of marine net phytoplankton from abundance based on samples from China seas [J]. Marine and Freshwater Research, 2017, 68 (1): 106-115.
12. Li J. L, Sun X. X*, Zheng S.(2016). In situ study on photosynthetic characteristics of phytoplankton in the Yellow Sea and East China Sea in summer 2013. Journal of Marine Systems. 160: 94-106.
Xiaoxia Sun, Shan Zheng, Shujin Guo, Common phytoplankton in the Western Tropical Pacific Ocean，Science Press, Beijing, 2017.
Tatiana Dautova, Xiaoxia Sun, Song Sun, Andrey Adrianov,Life-Supporting Asia-Pacific Marine Ecosystems, Biodiversity and Their Functioning, Science Press, Beijing, 2017.
Song Sun, Xiaoxia Sun，Theory and Practice of Bay Ecosystem -- A case study of Jiaozhou Bay，Science Press, Beijing, 2015.
Sun Song, Andrey Adrianov, Konstantin Lutaenko, Sun Xiaoxia, Marine biodiversity and ecosystem dynamics in the Northwest Pacific Ocean, Science Press, 2014, Beijing.
Sun Song, Sun Xiaoxia，Atlas of long term change of Jiaozhou Bay, Ocean Press, Beijing, 2011.