Name（姓名）： Hui Zhou
Research Field（研究领域）: Physical Oceanography
I am a sea-going physical oceanographer with research interests in process studies related to ocean dynamics. My research activities have been in the areas of tropical and subtropical ocean circulations in the western Pacific Ocean, and their relationships with climate changes. I like to consider the inter-relationships between various components of the oceanic circulation at different time and length scales, and hence governed by different physics. I conduct microstructure measurements in the far western Pacific Ocean every year since 2017 to study the smaller-scale turbulent motions in different El Ni？o states and the relationship between them.
Jan. 2010 to Present: Associate Professor, KLOCAW, IOCAS
Feb.-Aug. 2015, Visiting Scholar funded by the China Scholarship Council in Florida State University, USA, cooperated with Professor William K. Dewar.
Jul. 2006 to Dec. 2009: Assistant Professor, KLOCAW, IOCAS
Contracts and Grants Funded
Hui Zhou (PI). (Jan. 2019–Dec. 2022). NSFC Grant: The structure and multi-scale variabilities of the North Equatorial Counter Current in its source area in the Pacific Ocean. Grant No.(41876009).
Hui Zhou (PI). (Jan. 2014–Dec. 2017). NSFC Grant: Variability of meso-scale eddies east of Philippines and their effect on the variation of North Equatorial Current bifurcation. Grant No. (41376032).
Hui Zhou (PI). (Jan. 2009- Dec. 2011). NSFC Grant: Structure and variability of ocean circulation east of Mindanao island. Grant No. (40806010).
Hui Zhou (Core Member). (Sep. 2013- Dec. 2017). The Strategic Priority Research Program of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Theme I: Warm Pool and Cilmate change. Grant No. (XDA11010301).
Hui Zhou (Core Member). (Jan. 2012- Aug. 2016). MOST Grant: Response of the ocean to global warming and its effect on East Asia climate and marginal sea carbon storage. Grant No. (CB956000).
Chief Scientist, 2017, NSFC open research cruise in the western Pacific Ocean, 33 Days, research vessel: “Kexue”;
Chief Scientist, 2016, NSFC open research cruise in the western Pacific Ocean, 40 Days, research vessel: “Kexue”;
Team Leader, 2015, NSFC open research cruise in the western Pacific Ocean, 34 Days, research vessel: “Kexue”;
Chief Scientist, 2014, NSFC open research cruise in the western Pacific Ocean, 35 Days, research vessel: “Kexue-1”
Scientist, 2012, NSFC open research cruise in the western Pacific Ocean, 31 Days, research vessel: “Kexue-1”
Ph.D., 2006, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, China.
B.S. , 2001, Shandong University of Science and Technology, Taian, China
Member, American Geophysical Union (2010 -present )
Session Co-Chair, AGU Fall Meeting (2014)
Session co-Chair, European Geosciences Union (2013)
My research activities have been in the areas of tropical and subtropical ocean circulation, especially the dynamics of west boundary current and meso-scale eddies.
1. Yuan, Dongliang, Hui Zhou, Xia Zhao, 2013: Interannual Climate Variability over the Tropical Pacific Ocean Induced by the Indian Ocean Dipole through the Indonesian Throughflow. J. Climate, 26, 2845–2861. i: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JCLI-D-12-00117.1
2. Zhou hui, Yuan dongliang, Guo peifang, Shi maochong, 2010: Meso-scalecirculation at the intermediate-depth east of Mindanao observed by Argo profiling floats. Science in China, Series D. DOI 10.1007/s11430-009-0196-7. (SCI)
3. Nan F., Z. He, H. Zhou, and D. Wang (2011), Three long‐lived anticyclonic eddies in the northern South China Sea, J. Geophys. Res., 116, C05002, doi:10.1029/2010JC006790.(SCI)
4. Yuan D.L., J. Wang, T. Xu, P. Xu, H. Zhou and X. Zhao et al.,(2011), Forcing of the Indian Ocean Dipole on the Interannual Variations of the Tropical Pacific Ocean: Roles of the Indonesian Throughflow. Journal of Climate, vol. 24, 3593-3608, DOI: 10.1175/2011JCLI3649.1
5. Zhou hui, Nan feng, Shi maochong, Guo Peifang, Zhou liangming, 2009: Characteristics of water exchange in the Luzon Strait during September of 2006. Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology. 27(3)，650-657. (SCIE)
6. Zhou hui, Yuan Dongliang, Li Ruixiang, He Lei, 2010：The western South China Sea currents from measurements by Argo profiling floats during October to December 2007. Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology, 28(2), 398-406. (SCIE)
7. Zhou Hui, Guo Peifang, Xu Jiangping, Shi Maochong, 2007：Direct measurements of surface and mid-depth circulation in the Shikoku Basin by Argo profiling floats, Acta Oceanologica Sinica. 26(2), 1-11。(SCIE)
8. Zhou Hui, Guo Peifang, Xu Jiangping, Liu Qinyu, 2007, The characteristics of the eddies east of Taiwan Island and the Kuroshio in East Chian Sea. Journal of Ocean University of China. 37(2)，181-190。
9. Zhou Hui，Xu Jianpiing, Guo Peifang, Shi Maochong, 2006, A summary on western boundary current system study of the North Pacific，Chinese Journal of Marine Sciences，24(2), 49-59。
10. Zhou Hui，Xu Jianpiing, Guo Peifang, Shi Maochong，Liu Zenghong，Li Yunfang，2006, A study on an anticyclonic eddy east of Mindanao observed by an Argo Profiling Float.Journal of Tropical Oceanography, 25(6), 8-14.
11. Zhang Qilong, Zhou Hui, Liu Hongwei,2011, Interannual variability in the Mindanao Eddy and its impact on thermohaline structure pattern. Acta Oceanologica Sinica.( Accepted) (SCIE)
12. Lei He, Yao Li, Hui Zhou, Dongliang Yuan，2010: Variability of Cross-shelf Penetrating Fronts in the East China Sea. Deep Sea Research II. doi:10.1016/j.dsr2.2010.04.008 (SCI)
13. Dongliang Yuan, Yao Li, Lei He, Hui Zhou, Ruixiang Li, Fan Wang, Hui Lei, and Dunxin Hu, 2010: An observation of the three-dimensional structure of a cross-shelf penetrating front off the Changjiang mouth. Deep Sea Research II. doi:10.1016/j.dsr2.2010.04.009. (SCI)
14.Zhou. H.*, Liu. X., and Xu. P., (2019). Sensitivity of Sverdrup transport to surface wind products over the tropical North Pacific Ocean. Ocean Dynamics, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10236-019-01260-8.
15.Zhou, H., D. Yuan*, L. Yang, X. Li, and W. Dewar, 2018. Decadal Variability of the Meridional Geostrophic Transport in the Upper Tropical North Pacific Ocean. Journal of Climate, 31(15): 5891-5910.
16.Tan, S., and H. Zhou*, 2018. The observed impacts of the two types of El Ni？o on the North Equatorial Countercurrent in the Pacific Ocean. Geophysical Research Letters, 45(19): 10493-10500.
Address: 7 Nanhai Road, Qingdao, Shandong 266071, China
Tel: 86-532-82898902 Fax: 86-532-82898612 E-mail: email@example.com